Thursday, July 10, 2008

STORE UP KNOWLEDGE AND HOLD MY TONGUE

I am reading Proverbs 10 today and it is hard to choose just ONE power phrase to meditate on. I did notice how many verses just in this one chapter that talked about words. These proverbs are very convicting to me. I want to be so much more careful about what comes out of my mouth. I don't want to be knows as "a chattering fool" or one who "spreads slander".

Prov 10:8 The wise in heart accept commands,
but a chattering fool comes to ruin.

10 He who winks maliciously causes grief,
and a chattering fool comes to ruin.

11 The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life,
but violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked.

13 Wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning,
but a rod is for the back of him who lacks judgment.

14 Wise men store up knowledge,
but the mouth of a fool invites ruin.

18 He who conceals his hatred has lying lips,
and whoever spreads slander is a fool.

19 When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise.

20 The tongue of the righteous is choice silver,
but the heart of the wicked is of little value.

21 The lips of the righteous nourish many,
but fools die for lack of judgment.

31 The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom,
but a perverse tongue will be cut out.

32 The lips of the righteous know what is fitting,
but the mouth of the wicked only what is perverse.

Oh Lord, may I accept Your commands: grant me a righteous mouth and discerning lips. May I store up knowledge and hold my tongue all the days of my life.

2 comments:

Jonny said...

This touched me.
I'm Jonny by the way.
I came across your blog while browsing.
I really enjoy it.
Well feel free to read/comment my posts.
I'd greatly appreciate it.
:]

Les Valets said...

It is amazing what power there is in what we speak. This goes with one of my constant meditations from Samuel, where it said that Samuel grew in the Lord, and the Lord did not let his words fall to the ground. It's one thing I still really need to work on.

All existence was brought into being by the speaking of the Word.