Tuesday, May 13, 2008

happy birthday, dad

today is my dad's 53rd birthday. i'm sad though, because i can't call him or send him a card wishing him happy birthday. i don't know where he is. no one in his family knows where he is, what he's doing, or if he's even alive, for that matter. he has come in and out of my life for the last 12 years. his abandonment of me and my two sisters has been devastating. it's something i will never understand. for a long time, i struggled with anger and resentment towards God for assigning me the father He did. but i know that God doesn't make mistakes. and i know that He strategically placed me in the family He did because in order to be ME, i needed half of David's genes and half of Lisa's. and i'm pretty sure He made my mom extra amazing and loving, because He knew that i would need to be loved on a little extra without a dad. 


i feel sorry for my dad. because of his pride, selfishness, and alcoholism, he has missed out on so many things. he missed my graduation from college in 2001. he wasn't at my sister's wedding in 2005. he doesn't even know he has a grandson. his absence has left a huge hole in his 3 daughters' hearts. it's a mystery to me... 

but i know God is good. he has given me an uncle, a step-dad, and a surrogate dad who are men after God's own heart. they love the Lord, their wives, and their children with all their hearts, all their souls, and all their minds. they have all adopted me and love me just as if i was their own daughter. they each exude wisdom, strength, and honor and i am privileged to have them in my life. 

Heavenly Father, You are the giver of all good things. thank You for Uncle John, for Sid, and for Dad Elmer. thank You for always taking care of not only my basic needs but also my need of a father-figure with not one, but THREE men. i cherish every one of them. i pray for my dad today, Lord, wherever he is. i pray that he returns to You and to his family. i pray he gets the help he needs to recover and live his life for You again. i know his dreams have been shattered. i pray that You will break him of his pride and that he will have a story that will glorify You. my heart is heavy for him today, Lord, thinking of how lonely he must be on his birthday. please love on him in a special way today. let him know that You hear him. let Him know Your touch. let him know that You love him. let that be enough...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have not even the words to express to you how amazed i am with you.. i cannot imagine what it must be like, nor would I ever try to say that I understand.. thank you for being so open and sharing your heart... you and your dad are in my prayers tonight.

Unknown said...

I came across your blog from Esther's page and have been reading it. Esther and I attended high school together for 1 year in VA. I just want to encourage you... I love your blog, I love your openess, humility, vulnerability and heart for the Lord! I share a lot of your struggles, thoughts, feelings, and your appreciation of Elisabeth Elliot... I also read her daily devotionals. I will be praying for you as the Lord leads me as I join you on this journey. You have a gift for writing, and being able to reveal your heart through your words. That talent surrendered to Him will and is impactful for the Kingdom (as you can see by the comments to your blog). Check out my blog at http://mangerchine.blogspot.com sometime.

In His love,
Shannon

aunt susan said...

jessica, you were not alone with a heavy heart on may 13th. mommom and poppop and i also shared your pain. david; his life and choices, remains a great mystery. i simply rest in the knowledge that our loving God is in contol and has a divine and perfect plan for it all.
i love you so much, aunt susan