Thursday, May 29, 2008

heavy-hearted

i got a call from my dad's sister today. she told me that my dad called his parents this morning, letting them know he has been in jail for the past 6 months and 3 weeks. he was calling to tell them he had just been released. the last time anyone in our family spoke with him was last July. my heart is heavy today. my dad just learned this morning that he is a grandfather. what a wake-up call. it breaks my heart on so many levels. please pray with me that he won't start drinking again. please pray that his time in jail will be a catalyst for change, for growth, for relationships to reemerge and be restored.

Lord, i want to love like you do. i can't love my dad on my own. he is so unlovable. he has hurt me more than words can convey. but he is Your child, Your beloved. You made him and You love him. help me to see him through Your eyes. please continue to heal my wounds, as only You can do. please open my heart and use me to love him through You. he desperately needs to be loved on. please show me how.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Jess...but just remember that God can take our biggest mistakes and use them as huge catalysts to draw us closer to him. That's my prayer for your dad, and my prayer for you is that God will give you the strength and the grace to continue to love your dad through the hurt and frustration.

Love you.

hootenannie said...

I really enjoy your posts, and the little windows that they offer into your world. I can't imagine what your heart is feeling right now, but I will join you in praying for your dad. I'm confident that God will be faithful to your request to be able to love him... in the meantime, know that the prayers of a stranger have joined your own.

Unknown said...

i can't even imagine how difficult this is for you. my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. i will be praying for your father to be freed from the bondage that he is enslaved to, as we all are in our own ways. for him to know the love, mercy, grace, peace, joy and forgiveness of Jesus. i will be praying for God to fill you with his peace and quiet you with His love. remember that although your earthly father fails you (as will any other person) your Heavenly Father is perfect and filled with enlessless love for you, and delights in you. -Shannon