Friday, June 27, 2008

Accountability: the state of being accountable, liable, or answerable for one's actions

Until recent years, since I discovered what having a personal relationship with Christ was like, I had no use for accountability. I lived my life according to whatever the heck I wanted to do, with whomever I wanted to, wherever I wanted to, for whatever reason I thought good enough. But as I long to align my desires with God's desires for my life, I discover more and more how crucial accountability truly is. To know what accountability IS NOT, you can read about it here.


The Bible says that God holds us accountable. Romans 14:12 says, "So then each of us shall give account of himself to God." This is personal accountability. 

Christians are also called to be accountable to one another. In 1 Corinthians 12, we read that Christians are all part of the same body - the body of Christ - and each member needs or belongs to the other. This Scripture suggests the importance of strong accountability between fellow believers. It is important for every believer to have at least one other person in which to confide, pray with, listen to, and encourage.

Galatians 6:1-2 gives a helpful principle, "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." If your accountability partner has done something contrary to the Bible, you're called to confront him gently, forgive him, and comfort him. It also admonishes you to consider yourself because no one is above temptation.

Another aspect of Christian accountability is encouraging each other to grow in their spiritual maturity. Hebrews 10:24 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." 1 Thessalonians 5:11 says to, "…encourage one another and build each other up…"

Lord , You have placed so many godly women in my life and I feel blessed to have the level of comfort that I have with them, to open up and be honest about with my struggles. But I'm asking You to bring a woman into my life who I feel a degree of uncomfortableness, someone who will ask me hard questions. I want to live my life Your way and that does not come natural to me at times. Please bring someone who is a step ahead of me in life to hold me accountable and I ask that You bring someone a step behind me in life, whom I can encourage and challenge. Thank You for caring about the details of my life...even the areas I struggle with. 

Are you accountable? Do you have a friend to whom you can go? Will that person hold you accountable in your spiritual walk? Are you the type of person that people can come to when they need accountability? 

**update: why can't God always answer my prayers this quick? ;-) 
my dear, sweet, and godly friend, Heather Leeds has offered to step up to the plate for me and keep me accountable. Thanks, friend.

0 comments: