Friday, June 6, 2008

what's my story? what's my glory?

I had a few precious minutes with my Uncle John yesterday, before leaving for work. He reminded me there is only ONE of me, one jnt. I cannot compare myself to my cousins, my friends, my sister. THIS is the story He has written for me. I can either choose to look in my rearview mirror and focus on the pile of ashes of my past, or I can look straight ahead to the beauty He has in store for me. So it got me thinking, what IS my story? What IS my glory? The one I can call all my own...


1. I was thought of before I was born. 
Jer.1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart...that is such an amazing thought to me. It blesses me with a sense of value.
2. I was formed and fashioned by God in my mother's womb. 
Psalm 139:15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
3. 1979
-I am the 1st born of David & Lisa Bumbier born in Bryn Mawr, PA. 
Acts 17:26 From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.
4. I have a precious sister who loves the Lord, is walking with Christ, and is married to one of the most amazing men after God's own heart I have ever known.
5. 1979-1980 
-I lived in PA as a wee babe.
6. 1980-1990 
-I lived in Orlando, FL. 
-My grandma led me to the Lord and I invited Jesus into my heart when I was 6 years old. 
-My parents got divorced in 1987, when i was 8. 
-My mom was remarried in 1988; my dad remarried in 1989. 
-I moved in with my dad and step-mom in 1990.
7. 1990-1991 
-I lived in King of Prussia, PA with my dad, step-mom, and step-brother.
8. 1991-1998 
-I lived in Orlando with my dad & family until 1994, when i moved back in with my mom and sister. 
-My mom got divorced again in 1991, so when I moved back in with her, it was just mom, Esther, and me. 
-My dad and step-mom had my half-sister, Michele, in 1992. 
-They were divorced in 1997. 
-Dated my high school sweetheart, Jeff, from 1995-1997.
9. 1998-2001 
-I lived in Raleigh, NC and went to college at NC State, where I majored in Communication and minored in Psychology. 
-I dated 3 guys during my college years and ran as far away as I could from God. 
-These were years of brokenness as a prodigal in the wilderness. 
-My mom married Sid in 2000.
10. 2002 
-I lived in 3 different states that year. I lived in Atlanta from Jan-Aug., moved all my things back to Orlando and stayed 3 weeks until I decided to move everything up to Richmond, VA to be in the same city as my boyfriend. 
11. 2002-2003 
-I lived in Richmond, VA. 
-Jay was the first Christian I dated and I thought for sure he was "the one". Unfortunately, I was wrong. We sought pre-engagement counsel from Uncle John & Aunt Debbie the summer of 2003. 
-While we were in Alpharetta, we visited North Point Community Church. I fell in love. With Jesus. Broke it off with Jay when I realized I didn't love him the way I wanted to love my future husband. 
12. 2003-2008 
Atlanta, GA 
-I moved to Alpharetta because I simply HAD to be at NPCC, listening to Andy Stanley every Sunday. I became a sponge and I finally learned how to apply biblical truth to my everyday life. I found out for the first time how to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
-I took a year off from dating 11/03-11/04 and it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. 
-I regretted not taking a longer hiatus after falling fast and furiously in love with a man who broke my heart in 2005. 
-I dated another man in 2007, but with lots of prayer and wise counsel, realized that he wasn't God's very best for me. 
-I was baptized by Uncle John on my 28th birthday at NPCC. 
-Worked for Dentistry at Northpoint and the best boss I've ever had from 2003-2008. 
-Spent a year in counseling with Debbie Causey from 2004-2005, where she taught me how to replace Satan's lies with God's truth. 
-I've moved 5 times in the last 4 1/2 years, gotten out of debt (FINALLY!), and am currently unemployed and BEGGING God for a new adventure. 
-I have had zero relationship with my father in the last 11 years. I think I've seen him a total of 3 or 4 times and have had limited conversations with him (his choice, not mine). It's been heartbreaking, but the Lord has blessed me with several replacement fathers, including my stepdad, my uncle John, and my sister's father-in-law, Mike Elmer. 

There's my story. The much edited and G-rated version.

So, what's my glory? My special cause for pride or delight? Isaiah 61:3 says, "To all who mourn in Israel, he will give beauty for ashes, joy instead of mourning, praise instead of despair. For the Lord has planted them like strong and graceful oaks for his own glory." Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins write, "So often we wallow in the ashes of our sin. We roll in the dust of our failures and misfortunes. We allow ourselves to be covered with the soot of Satan's lies and the dirt of our own sinful nature. We live in regret and shame over past sins and pitiful habits. We struggle in the mire of our own self-doubt. But God never intended us to stay there. His intent is to free us!" 

I get the most glory when I am doing what I feel like I was made to do, which is serving. I love loving on people; blessing them with my time, treasure, or talent. I glory in bringing God glory. When I get distracted and start focusing on myself and what I don't have that I want (a husband and children, a perfect body, chocolate without calories, an unlimited amount of money, a dad who who wants to be a part of my life, revenge), I become a self-absorbed wreck. I am at my finest when the focus is off of myself and on other people. That's why I love to serve. Is there anything I can do for YOU today? ;-)

Thank You, Jesus, for the story You've predestined for me and ONLY me. Thank You for the parents You strategically gave me, for the God-fearing extended family You put me in. Thank you for my health, my education, and the privilege to be an American. Thank You in advance for what the future holds, for You are already there. May any glory I receive, glorify You. You must increase. I must decrease. That is my hope and prayer today.

What's your story? What's your glory? 

3 comments:

Lewis said...

hey, i'm lewis. found your blog through los.
just wanted to thank you for sharing this. very telling. very open. great story!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Really cool to read. Awesome story Gods painting in your life. I actually produce videos for NPCC, I made the intro video for your Uncle Johns Fathers Day talk and shot the Glamorous music video in his backyard. I actually saw John baptize you that morning which was cool to see. Keep trusting in Him. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord... Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you hope and a future" jer 29:11
matt g

Chad said...

great story--oh how easy it is to get focused on ourselves and we drown...like Peter. We put our eyes on Jesus and there's peace, storms don't subside, but there's peace. Then he tells us to love others.
:) Anyway, I happened on your website by searching for a freind in my past from Camp Forest Springs (WI), her name is Debbie Causey, was trying to find her. Not sure the Debbie mentioned in your blog is the same, but thought I check. I'm Chad Vetsch. Can you help?